Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Slow cooker leftover Turkey chili

I am so tired of left over turkey.  I bought a big bird thinking we could eat some freeze some but I am just tired of the Thanksgiving meal (which we had for Christmas this  year) and was ;looking for other venues to use up the turkey.  I had a huge miss with lasagna.  My favorite is the classic turkey sandwich or club both perfect for leftover and this new one came in a solid second.  But again it is out of three.  I had seen a similar recipe using uncooked chicken breast instead but I substituted that for the cooked turkey and changed it a little more to my taste.  It is a very easy recipe to change to your flavor but remember to change the cooking times too if you go back to uncooked chicken breast.


1 can black beans

1 can corn, undrained
1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
a handful of pepper diced, as many and what types you like depending on your preference 
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 8 oz package cream cheese
4 oz medium cheddar cheese 
4-6 cups leftover turkey meat, I went on the heavy 6 cup side

Drain and rinse black beans. Place turkey at bottom of pot, then pour whole can of corn , diced tomatoes, diced peppers and black beans. Top with seasonings and ranch mix. Stir together. Place cream cheese and cheddar cheese on top. Cover with lid and cook on low for 5 hours. Stir cream cheese into chili.  Stir together and serve with your favorite toppings of tortilla chips, extra shredded cheddar cheese, salsa brava, sour cream, cilantro would be Fantastic, anything you like and enjoy.  

 photo IMG_5267_zps9447a75d.jpg

I also froze 2 bowls I will let you know how freezer meals of it comes out.  And sorry about not the best food picture I was more interested in eating it.  It is good and very thick.  My husband actually though it was a dip.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...